Friday, June 7, 2019

Day 061: Networking and Support Wins

Hey! It's been one day over two months since I started learning to code! Woo!

I'm still going through Angela Yu's Web Dev bootcamp (getting close to the finish line!). I've only finished a few small independent projects along the way and hope to get much more under my belt in the coming days. I didn't finish the FCC JS certification yet since I was interrupted with the busy season at work and I took a detour into the wonderful world of Udemy. I do intend to get that FCC JS certification eventually!

In the meantime, I want to report a few significant wins this week. Before I start, let me preface it with the fact that I am an introvert and I HATE having to go to networking events. I would rather get my teeth pulled than to have to small talk myself though these types of things. It is just so uncomfortable for me, I am figuratively dying inside. However, I've worked in front-desk type positions before and overall have been working long enough generally that I can fake it through the whole thing so that people around me don't get so uncomfortable with me being so awkward and in pain (or maybe they do notice? That would explain the cautious backing away, lol).

Monday: The Approach 

So I am part of a leadership program at work. It's a small internal program that consists of workshop and presentations. My cohort was having our graduation ceremony of sorts this past Monday. Let's just say I would not have joined this program if my boss didn't strongly urge me to do it. It is a pretty good program and a convenient excuse to get to know other folks at my workplace (and I actually made a friend out of it). But if I had a choice not to participate (without looking bad to the higher ups), I would have chosen to stay away from it.

So "graduation" rolls around and I was delighted to find that the guest speaker was a CEO of a machine learning company in the city! Yes, one of the few female CEOs of a tech company! Wowowowowwo! Her speech was short but inspiring and I was sitting on the edge of my seat drinking in everything she said!

Before she even finished, I already decided that I will approach her and began formulating how I was to do that, since I NEVER do anything like this. I wondered how my extroverted, salesy friends would do it? Even so, I didn't think too hard about it, because I approached her after right away and told her how inspiring her story was (and it was!). I also told her that I was currently learning to code and am hoping for a career transition. I was sweating bullets the whole time and my heart was racing and was trying really hard to not be awkward and weird.

Imagine my surprise to see that she was so excited for me and was even saying how she has some positions opened in her company (where I had to meekly inform her that I was not quite at that level yet). She offered to connect on Linkedin and later have coffee...!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

If you told me 3 months ago that I would have done something like this, I would have laughed in your face. I still can't believe that I did this. It was way out of my comfort zone, but so worth it.

Wednesday: The Science Fair

The second event was another internal event for career development/connections. I didn't actually plan on going to this but was walking by a sign they had with a greeter standing by. I mentioned to myself "oh yeah, this is going on." The greeter heard me and said, "You should go!" So I thought why the heck not? And off I went.

It was sort of set up like a science fair how each department had their own table. My org is big enough that each major department (or channel?) has their own HR, admin, marketing, IT, development teams as well as organization-wide teams that oversee the overall mission of the organization.

At the event, I found some friends and chatted with them a bit. After everyone took their leave, I kind of poked around to look for the organizational wide IT/tech dept. There was only one person manning their table and someone else was talking to them. I loitered around a bit looking at their job postings, none of which I was qualified for and waited for my turn to chat. There were a few times I was tempted to just walk away because I felt awkward and uncomfortable, but I am glad I did not. Eventually, I had my turn and awkwardly fumbled out my words (so awkward!) and told the woman I was learning to program and am looking for a career transition. But once I began talking, I could not believe how excited I was to talk to her and I could not shut up.

She was an HR person who works for the tech dept, but still was so happy for me to be a woman actually interested in tech. As I was yapping on, there was another woman who approached and was awkwardly waiting for her turn to talk to the tech dept and I just randomly asked what programming languages she knows. My husband tells me later that this was kind of a silly question and should have asked her what stack she was working with instead. Hey, I am new at this! It was kind of evidenced in her face with the confused look she gave me (haha!). But she explained that she was in devOps for one of the smaller departments. However! Since she was already in the know, she referred me to a bunch of internal organization wide resources that I had no idea even existed! An especially important group is a women in tech group! Yassss!

Friday: Lunch Time

awesome support from a friend + delicious udon for lunch = WIN!
And just today at lunch, I had lunch with my friend in HR at a delicious Udon spot she introduced me to.

I finally told her about my plans on learning to code and pivoting to a different career in a year.

Since she works in HR, I was a bit shy in letting her know. I knew each other before I started working at the same place and have become better friends since I started working here. However, I was unsure of how she'd feel/react because she is in HR after all. This news can potentially can affect her work. I also had a fear of her telling my boss before I was ready (which she would never do, honestly, but the fears there).

But you should know the theme of the post by now. She was absolutely SUPPORTIVE of me and my decision. She was going so far as offering to help connect me to folks she knew in our IT/tech department. I was planning on approaching them anyways, but getting an intro would be even better!

Too Long Didn't Read

I am getting way out of my comfort zone reaching out to people and realizing how it does NOT feel uncomfortable when it is about something I am passionate and care deeply about.

Just is put yourself out there! You will be shocked at how people just want to help and see you succeed! You might even surprise yourself as well.

I am just bursting with so much optimism and motivation right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment