Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Day 129: CodeNewbie & the Pragmatic Programmer



If you are just starting out, I feel that it is my duty to plug the CodeNewbie community and to listen to its podcasts if you aren't doing so already. I've been taking my time going through the whole catalog on my commute to and from work, from the very beginning episode 1. I am currently at episode 141, now going through the first annual Codeland Conference talks, right before they started actually numbering their seasons! (They're at season 9 now, at the time of this writing).

I must say that Saron Yitbarek is one of the best podcast hosts I've ever listened to. She has a natural talent at it. As a newbie, my favorite episodes are the ones where she interviews developers who are self taught, are career changers, or generally have a non-traditional background. It's my daily dose of inspiration.

I do also enjoy the interviews from the folks in tech that I wouldn't normally think of since I am heavily leaning to web development or interview some big names like Sandi Metz, John Resig, and Yehuda Katz (great interview). A set of episodes that really stuck out to me that I will probably keep referring back to is where she interviews the Pragmatic Programmer founder, Dave Thomas (part 1, part 2). This is a rather special interview for me as I was going through some serious doubts at that time and listening to the interview really helped encourage me.

So if you are a code newbie, give CodeNewbie a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment