Monday, July 8, 2019

Day 092: Long Weekend Coding Retrospective, Personal Hackathon

Not that I announced it or anything, but I did another "Personal Mini Bootcamp" this past long weekend (July 4 though July 7). Since I am more precisely tracking only productive time (no break times) with Toggl, I figured it would be more reasonable to do at least 6 hours of coding or learning to code each day as opposed to the original 8hr/day. Also, if it is where I am just watching a video and not coding or trying out the examples in the videos, I count the time viewing for half (or less, depending on how much I am learning from the content).

While I knew I needed to do another one of these Personal Mini Bootcamp sessions, I only decided on July 2nd that I will be attempting it during the my long weekend since my workplace decided to give everyone a free day off on Friday, July 5th. In all, it gave me 4 whole days of coding and getting back on track.

I had a lot of courses/videos/assignments that were incomplete, so the main goal was to move on to functional programming and ES6 and asynchronous JS and wrap up those courses and videos and take occasional breaks with the FCC Intermediate Algorithms section.

As you know, I finished Angela Yu's Web Dev Bootcamp course, I also finally completed the Intro to Javascript course on Codecademy. The last few sections in this course were indeed ES6 and async JS hence the delay on completing it.

The past 2 weeks has been all about functional programming and ES6 so it was really nice doing all of these from various sources at the same time. And no surprise, a great deal of the weekend was focused on APIs, implementing them, practicing with them and creating it. I also made a very simple implementation of the Dad Joke API on Codepen (which I also need to update to include the errors and such).


For those Lynda videos that I stopped midway because I didn't want to get too ahead of myself, I finished most of them often while I was eating or on my indoor bike, counting for half time. So of course the content was further reinforcement on ES6, async JS, and functional programming. The last bits of the Angela Yu bootcamp was also all about APIs as well. It was neat how everything fell into place like that.

Another side effect of the weekend was actually finally starting to push projects onto Github and getting more comfortable with that.

I did go easy on the hours on July 4th proper (because bbqs and whatnot), but on average it does work out to be a tiny bit over 6 hours per day for the 4 day weekend. And I am also happy to say that I finally broke the 30 hour/week barrier to clock in a total of 32 hours and 13 mins for the week of July 1 through July 7 (Monday through Sunday). Woo! My general goal is to get in at least 20 hours of coding each week, which I have only achieved 2x previous to this week in the past 13ish weeks. /sigh

As an aside, I really need to think of a new name for the "Personal Mini Bootcamp" because its kind of misleading? I originally had that name because I was going through the Angela Yu Web Dev Bootcamp as my curriculum for that first weekend. I also originally chose the 8 hours so I would know what it feels like to be coding for 8+ hours a day like a full-time bootcamp student. But in reality, these weekend sessions are more like a very focused attempt to get some hours of code time in. Maybe "Personal Hackathon" might be a better name for it? Yeah, I think it makes more sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment