Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Day 010: Fear

So I'm done with the product landing page: https://codepen.io/4nn/full/zXpaoY

I probably spent too much time on prettifying it, but I wanted to try out some of the new bits of CSS that came into prominence after I last web designed. It felt kind of like discovering one of those animated logo makers and slapping them all my Geocities page like I did when I was a teen. It's tacky as hell, but I had some fun playing around with stuff.


There was lots of referring to the w3schools site as I had in the past. (And dang, it changed a whole lot!)

Now to move to the Technical Documentation. https://codepen.io/4nn/pen/OGvLjj

Maybe I can bare-bones it and move on to finish up the RWD certification already! Right now, I've got 12/16 of the tests passed and may give it a rest tonight since I am getting sleepy.

Update: Fell asleep to watching/listening to Lynda.com Programming Foundations: Fundamentals with Simon Allardice (who is fantastic, btw!). I am only about 1/3rd through and feel like I am getting a lot out of it (like the difference between a compiler and interpreter language... who knew?) I also think this is a great primer before I start JavaScript on FCC.

Own Worst Enemy

As for the blog title -- I've been getting hit with bouts of fear and self doubt throughout the day, wondering if I can make it through all the FCC certs or if this is just a pipe dream? or if I do make it through but then won't be able to transition? I mean, I would probably have to take a pay cut for the first few years, but what if I won't be able to make up the difference even after getting enough experience? Or maybe I just won't be able to find a job at all?

While my husband knows I am working towards this goal and he started offering some advice, I kind of told him to back off. It's partially because I don't need his help in the RWD section, but mostly because I am feeling embarrassed? Should I be farther along than I am now? And if he doesn't know what I am working on, he wouldn't be so clued in when I get to the frustrating parts and fail, right?

Yes, it appears I am putting the cart before the horse here and these hypotheticals do not help. I am trying to avoid these thoughts by occupying my headspace with coding related stuff, trying to absorb information, and listening/reading the more motivational content from other folks who have been here before. The self-fear is real, since you can be your own worst enemy and all.

Update: Reading this post from Quincy Larson at FCC really helps fight the demons: One does not simply learn to code


No comments:

Post a Comment