Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Day 017: Still in Basic Javascript

I am still having trouble getting the basics to stick. It's mostly the "grammatical" parts of the syntax where I have some difficulty remembering when and where to pull/place parameters, functions, or whatever into where ever to make a line of code work. It gets even more confusing when things start to nest, like functions in objects or what the cool kids call methods. I think I need to make some obnoxiously long names just to help myself remember where things belong.

I know that I need to get used to what they are and recognizing the pattern of where to put things. Or remembering what the definitions of certain things are when an instructor says, "now we call this parameter from the xyz" that I often have to look up what xyz is (again). Ugh. Just all part of the learning process. My coding cheerleaders (the husband and some programmer friends) tell me that I will get used to it eventually and that it will become second nature then.

So I need to just keep at it to familiarize myself with js. With that, I've taken even more detours from FCC and am working through the following:
  • WatchandCode Practical Javascript with Gordon Zhu - who is my freaking hero right now because his teaching style is effective and not like anything I've encountered so far; I will likely work through the same course with him a few more times to hammer the concepts in; I am also heavily considering subbing to his premium course once I am comfortable enough with the the basics. He is just that good and highly recommended for anyone trying to learn js basics from a free resource. 
  • Lynda.com JavaScript Essential Training 
  • W3Schools Javascript Tutorials 
  • Codecademy Intro to Javascript
I am in various stages of completion with each of them but should be done with most, if not all by this weekend. I'm at the point where I don't think repetition is doing enough, so I might as well try to apply what I've learned so far on my own and stumble and self correct as needed.

So far I have the following on the to-do list for this weekend. 
  • Madlibs game
  • Tip calculator 
  • Pomodoro timer
It feels like I've been struggling with this for a long, long time now, but it's actually been less than a week in starting the js basics. I need to be patient and get through the weeds first.

P.S. I guess I need to create some kind of js cheat sheet. MDN on js grammar and types for anyone interested. Also a handy video from DashingD3js on functions and callbacks that I will need to watch a few times. Lastly, read Javascript for Cats to keep absorbing the basics. It's super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment